Wealth Accounting and the Valuation of Ecosystem Services
Wealth Accounting and the Valuation of Ecosystem Services (WAVES) is a multi-year, multi-million dollar global partnership administered by the World Bank that aims to promote sustainable development by ensuring that natural resources are mainstreamed in development planning and national economic accounts in developing countries. It brings together a broad coalition of UN agencies, governments, international institutes, non-governmental organizations and academics to implement natural capital accounting (NCA) and develop new approaches for ecosystem service accounts. Members of the partnership include the governments of Botswana, Colombia, Costa Rica, Madagascar, the Philippines, Guatemala, Indonesia and Rwanda and a variety of multi-lateral institutions and NGOs.
Midsummer Analytics has provided a variety of services to the WAVES partnership since 2013, including:
- training of partner country experts on concepts and methods related to NCA
- technical assistance to partner country experts developing accounts
- advice to senior governmental officials in partner countries on the policy application of NCA
- research into users and uses of NCA in developed countries
- evaluation of mid-term program progress and recommendations for increasing program impact (with Green Park Consultants).
- We have worked extensively in Madagascar, as well as in Costa Rica, Colombia and the Philippines. This work has involved both desk research and extensive time spent in-country.
Our Principal, Robert Smith, serves as a member of the WAVES Policy and Technical Experts Group along with other recognized international experts in NCA from government, universities, think-tanks and NGOs.